How to cut a hair sample on short hair:
1. Lift up a small section of hair at the back of the head nearest the nape.
2. Snip under this section some hair as close to the scalp as you can and place it on the weighing scale card.
3. Following the same line across the head, do this a few times until you have enough hair to weigh down the scale.
How to cut a hair sample on medium to long hair:
1. Lift up a section of hair at the back of the head near the nape and clip it to the hair above.
2. Pinch a small section of hair under the clipped up hair, about half to an inch across depending on thickness of hair.
3. Snip this 'pinch' as close to the scalp as possible. Now you will have a length of hair in your hand. Cut off an inch from the end that was nearest the scalp and place on weighing card in your pack. This should be enough.
Cutting a retest sample:
1. If possible, find the shorter length of hair that has grown since your last sample cut. Cut as above - this will not be possible on very short hair of course.